maandag 1 maart 2010

Year of the Tiger

It's a special day today. On this day, exactly a year ago, I left for the great unknown, taking a plane and flying half-way around the world to Southeast-Asia. It's been one year on the road. Happy anniversary to myself!

Back then I didn't know what to expect, nor did I know where I would end up in a year's time. There was a real possibility that I would have been home again. When I left, I didn't have that much money on me. But, in the back of my mind, I knew I would try to make it whatever the odds. And I did it.

Two years ago I visited Hong Kong for the first time and you could say it was love at first sight. It took me a while, but I made back to this bustling city. How much I try, I'm still awestruck by the place. It's clean, modern, energetic, busy and the vista's are unbelievable. The second time around the admiration has only deepened.

Driving from the airport to the city you see huge skyscrapers, apartment blocks three times higher then anything you see anywhere else, green mountains, huge suspension bridges and in the waterways and bays countless ships, in all forms and sizes. At night, Hong Kong lights up. The skyline is still the most beautiful I ever seen.

As you may know, it's officially the year of the Tiger. Chinese (and Vietnamese for that matter) don't celebrate the New Year the way the Western world does: on the 1st of January. No, they do it according to the lunar calender. And the new year started in China with a big bang on the 13th of February. The only downside was the weather: unusual cold and rainy for the time of year – though not as freezing as back home, in Europe.


Being fortunate enough to visit Hong Kong for a second time, I was especially lucky to see the city during it's new year celebrations. Together with my old friend Wai (remember him from Vietnam?) and his family we saw the amazing fireworks spectacle in Victoria Harbour, had front line seats during the annual Night Parade and witnessed traditional “lucky” Lion dances on the street and in shopping malls.

I haven't only been in Hong Kong for the last two weeks. I just got back from a little detour to the “other” China: Taiwan. The beautiful island left a lasting impression. But to make things a little bit more manageable, for me and for you, you can read all about that in the next installment.


For the moment I'm staying for a couple of more days in Hong Kong, organizing my onward travels. Not that I mind at all. Big city, bright lights.

1 opmerking:

  1. Hey Stephan!
    Gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag!
    Liefs vanuit regenachtig IBB.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen